The Parish of Newton-in-the-Isle is situated in the northeast corner of the county of Cambridgeshire, close to the borders with Lincolnshire to the north and Norfolk to the east. The nearest town is the Georgian market town of Wisbech, known as the Capital of the Fens, a little under five miles to the south.
The Parish has a population of around 720, of whom 470 live in the village itself, a further 80 in the hamlet of Fitton End and the remaining 170 in outlying properties.
Newton-in-the-Isle lies on land reclaimed during the great drainage of the Fens carried out from 1630 onwards, which now provides some of the best agricultural land in the country. Wheat, potatoes and sugar beet are grown extensively, alongside many other crops, including onions, leeks, cauliflowers, peas, beans, beetroot, oilseed rape and mustard. In an area once known for fruit growing, apples and pears are still grown commercially. Our market gardening heritage survives, providing soft fruit, cut flowers, ornamental plants and shrubs, whilst spring bulbs, roses and other flowers are also grown on a large scale.
Village life centres on our Village Hall, built in 1853 as the first school in the village, but used as a community meeting place since 1978. A warm welcome is guaranteed, whether for one of our regular Coffee Mornings, Afternoon Teas or Sunday Lunches, meetings, classes or entertainments. There's something for everybody.